Oh man, one of the best things about springtime is fried Poke. Its the ONLY time of the year you can find in growing. I had me a big serving of fried poke for supper. Now thats nature food!
Alot of people simple boil their poke, but I say YUK!
Something I learned a long time ago and is a good rule to follow: When In Doubt…. ROLL IT IN FLOUR AND FRY IT!
This Poke is getting a little big, but on the left photo, you can see their is still some small stalks under the bigger ones. [big stalks are bitter]
– Pick the poke- break it off a little above the ground
– break the top leaves off and place to side
– peel the outer ‘strings’ off the small part of the stalk
– rinse the top leaves and peeled stalk
– Now put a little flour in a clear bag. You can add half Corn Meal if you’d like
– put the Poke stalk and leaves in the bag of flour and shake until all is coated
– pre-heat cooking oil in a frying pan – about 1/2″ in pan
– add the coated Poke and fry on medium heat until slightly crunchy
– remove from pan and enjoy